potential pieces of music


In this post I will be looking at different types of music that fits the common conventions of the sports drama genre. In my opening scene I will be using one piece of diegetic music and another non-diegetic piece.

Music is a key feature in sporting dramas, many famous sporting dramas usually have a leitmotif for example rocky and its iconic piece of music.






5 potential pieces of diegetic music are:
  • Lose yourself- Eminem
  • Till I collapse-Eminem
  • X Gon' Give It To Ya - DMX
  • Iron - Woodkid
  • Radioactive-Imagine Dragons
5 potential pieces of non-diegetic music are:
  • Wheeler Fight - Southpaw
  • Marines'Hymm/Yankee - Rocky 
  • Ice Cold - Creed II
  • Sparta, Night One - Warrior
  • Warrior- Warrior

The intended effect of the diegetic and non-diegetic is to show the intensity and ferocity of the sport of audience. This will put the audience in the place of the character hopefully effecting them as if they're about to play a game of rugby. I have tried to get pieces of music both diegetic and non-diegetic that slowly increase in intensity, this takes the audience though a small but powerful journey.

Diegetic 
In my opening scene I intend to have a shot of my protagonist unplugging his headphones from his phone, this will then lead to a piece of music playing out-loud. This will mean the character and the audience are both able to hear the piece of music. I have 5 potential pieces of music as listed above, my intended effect of the music is to show the mindset of the protagonist, this is also done by him coming to practice hours early. I want to be able to give the character the impression of being a player who's live revolves around his love for rugby. The actual piece of music will need to be fairly quick paste and extremely powerful and strong. This will most likely include a powerful beat and maybe lyrics which in some way may relate to the sport of rugby or at least the emotional makeup behind the character.

Non-Diegetic
In my opening scene and trailer, the use of non-diegetic music will be prominent due to it being a iconic convention found in sporting drama, eg rocky. I have looked at many different movies and have found different pieces of music from the movies soundtrack. This has lead to me having 5 different pieces of non-diegetic music which can be found in a list above. My purpose of my pieces of non-diegetic music will to be a tone setter, for example when the protagonist finds out he has a career ending injury, I will use a slow tempo piece of music to show the emotions the character is going through, this will also help the audience side with the character. In another scene which may show the protagonist playing at his peak since the injury, this will most likely include a piece of music which is up tempo, powerful and triumphant. The reason for this is to allow the audience to understand a significant moment is taking place and it will also get the audience to side with the protagonist almost cheering him along as we see his fall and his rise.

Comments